Director | Economic Development – Retention
What I Do at Southwest Michigan First
I work with existing businesses, primarily located in Kalamazoo County, to ensure they have the support that they need to thrive. My focus on helping companies grow and stay in Southwest Michigan requires that I work directly with company leadership to facilitate relationships with governmental entities, make connections on their behalf to optimize supply chains, run site searches for expansions, provide linkages to talent resources, and negotiate incentives to support projects. All that I do ties directly back to our mission that “the greatest force for change is a job.”
Why I Love Working Here
Every day is different! And I have the opportunity to work with amazing businesses and community partners on a variety of projects with the absolute best co-workers on the planet.
My Favorite Thing(s) About Living in Southwest Michigan
My list is long and includes the Kalamazoo Nature Center, Kal-Haven Trail, Kalamazoo Farmers Market, The Kalamazoo Promise, Lillian Anderson Arboretum and rich legacy of innovation that exists within the community.
Top Moment Working Here
My top moments working at Southwest Michigan First are any time I meet with a company and leave knowing that I’ve connected it to a resource or program that will change their business for the better.
When I’m Not at Work, You’ll Find Me…
Walking or hiking, hanging out with my two children, enjoying a cigar and a perfectly paired cocktail, or reading a book.
My Alma Mater and Certification
- Calvin University, B.A. Psychology
- Certified Economic Development Financial Professional (EDFP)
- Southcentral Michigan Planning Council
- Western Michigan University’s Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
A Few Things About Me
- As a Child, I Wanted to Be: A Back-Up Vocalist
- Favorite Condiment: Truff (Truffle-Infused) Hot Sauce
- Favorite Holiday: Easter
- My Play It On “10” Song: Suffragette City by David Bowie
- My Hidden Talent: Badminton